Monday, August 31, 2009

Writing in RL / Banking in VR

Trying to figure out how everything fits together, because I am sure it fits together.

Interestingly I was forwarded a great article by a friend this afternoon.
It would seem that within the popular MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online game) 'EVE' the largest bank developed and run by players 'EBANK' has suffered a very real blow.

"In June, former EBANK CEO "Ricdic" embezzled over 200 billion ISK [or InterStellar Kredits] from the bank and later sold it in real life." Reported Xav de Matos yesterday on joystiq
In what sounds very familiar to RL (real life) the bank has frozen users funds, the embezzlement only part of the problem, poor management of EBANK means that many "380 billion [ISK] in defaulted loans" have added to the banks woes.

When I was writing this I couldn't find an exchange rate for an InterStellar Kredit from what I understand you are not technically allowed to exchange them for actual RL money as the currency seems to be the property of the game.

Meanwhile my partner has lost his voice and because I am relishing the silence in which to study we are communicating using an RL 'chat'.
I am sure using these metaphors in practice only strengthens our view that the Internet is all around us. (Strengthens our relationship with the object/utility? Who can say.)


No comments:

Post a Comment